Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Courtesy of Starf#&ks…

This little tidbit graced my venti 1% vanilla latte making it as profound a vehicle as Deepak Chopra or his pen pals.

The Way I see it #63
Our lives are inspired by the dreams we have from the earliest stages of our youth. When you combine passion and hard work, then success is always possible. While no road is ever straight, dedication and persistence will always lead you to your dreams.

Come On! – On my cup? I realize that advertising is powerful – I mean, you don’t have to preach to the converted. But on a cup? At just after 6am? I’m all for a little bit of inspiring self-talk now and again, heck – I even indulge in it myself (in front of a mirror in the comfort of my blazing orange room) – but corporate inspiration? Can Starbucks get more contrived than this?

No doubt, this is a piece of well-crafted marketing jargon to once again identify with the intellectually-rebellious, spiritually-grounded target group, that most of us happen to find ourselves in. But really, what’s next? Motivational messages on our TTC transfers?

Maybe I’m just having an easily irritable day – if that’s the case – pray for me folks – because today promises to be chaotic.

--

In other news – I also found out that while fear of failure is a popular hurdle to jump – fear of accomplishment is quickly catching up. So guess what – I’m the oxymoron that’s stuck in this catch 22 – yay me.

1 comment:

Scorps1027 said...

i've often thought it was better for starbuck's to put trivia or jokes on their cups. i agree with you about the inspirational jargon, it's a little hard to handle once you view it on the side of a $4 coffee you're trying to ingest so you dont' snap someone's head off in a fit of 'lack of caffeine' rage.

i always like the trivia that starbuck's has on its lil black bulletin boards. for i.e., did you know that starbuck's is named after the captain in moby dick? Captain Starbuck, who loved coffee so much. Now I thought that was interesting b/c who knew it was named after a fictional character and not some founder? I hope that tidbit made up for the deepak chopra-wannabe quote!