Friday, October 02, 2009

zilch

zip. zero.

that's how much i plan on spending this month on the frills that oftentimes clutter but cocoon my life. Yup, you heard me right. I'm going to implement a shopping ban for the month of October. Talk about idealistic aspirations eh? I can't make it past a block without my money practically fighting its way out of my wallet and into a retail bag of some sort. I am THAT kid that can justify and rationalize any purchase - i just love the thrill of the hunt and the pleasure of the find.

In fact, on a recent 'sightseeing' trip to NYC with 30 of my closest family members - I spent the equivalent of 2 mortgage payments on some of my favorite friends - you might know them - jcrew, coach, michae kors, guess, nine west. Yup. I got so much stuff that I could have actually bought myself a ticket to Italy for a holiday instead. And this was the damage spread over less than 5 hours of shopping - without any MAJOR purchases. Now, THAT is ridiculous even for a retail-a-holic like myself. So this month, my birthday month, i've decided to shop my own closet.

I recently realized that i still have a good 30% of my wardrobe with tags on it. And reading the Economist yesterday - a wave of guilt washed over me because i am part of the generation that just has too much. it was definitely a familiar feeling. i mean, its the souvenir that keeps giving for a few months after any trip i take to india or sri lanka. i realize just how little some people have and i leave guilt ridden for all the wasteful clutter that i amass in my life. i mean i bought a beret at jcrew for $45.00 and thought it was a great deal - that's close to 5000rupees in SL. WTF. And knowing me - i will wear it twice and then lose interest in it. So this month, i am going to hope that i can find the will power i desperately need to learn a crucial lesson in my life.

so i will not be purchasing any clothing items in the month of october. or shoes. (sigh) or books. (faint) or accessories for myself or the house. or knick knacks of any sort. I will give myself $100 for the month (gulp) to cover lunches (this is a challenge because the avg lunch in my area is like $25) and that's all. (choke + gulp)

re-reading this, i'm starting to feel faint. perhaps i should alert my co-workers of this fact so they can check in on me occasionally.

since the ban started yesterday - here's a little something from october one.

yesterday i walked by a store window and saw THE most adorable michael kors bag - and my heart literally skipped two beats. michael kept whispering my name seductively, pleading with me to just run my fingers over the smooth trim, lose myself in supple leather... and i had to force my feet to keep walking along their original path. in fact, one of my friends had to physically drag me away as i left remnants of drool on the once clear glass window. she also had to hold my hand all the way to the coffee shop - yup, that's how i need to roll. first a hand, next a leash.

The one indulgence I have allowed myself is the $4/day coffee i have (it's a necessity in my book) - after all, I said i was trying to be mindful - not lose my mind.

so stay tuned for more episodes from the shopping ban.

--
hmm, someone just dropped off a 25% off special coupon to the GAP. i swear the world is out to torture me.

1 comment:

Sue V. said...

good luck with this, my friend. I think i'm going to have Matt read your post. He thinks I'm a spender...but he might realize otherwise...after this. ;) I think you can do it!! remember, mind over matter. =)