Wednesday, May 18, 2005

The game

Last night was ihaveanidea’s 3rd annual Canada wide portfolio review. After fighting a losing battle with a pesky brief – I waged war by packing up my things around 7:30 and heading out to meet B at his soiree. I told myself that I would hang out for 30 minutes and then bounce. In my defense, I’d like to point out that the intent of leaving early and on time was there – initially at least.

I got there and it hit me. Like a mobile brick wall. Last year I was there. Clutching my portfolio, shaking in my sandals and smoking like nicotine was the only air my lungs could handle. I was absolutely terrified. And I left balling my eyes out. Not because my work should be in the crapper but because there were more “that’s nice” as opposed to “that’s fucking great”. And I realized that if I was serious about being in advertising, I needed to work twice as hard to reach that elusive pinnacle. I also remember calling M right after my session, balling my eyes out and vowing to make it work. He picked me up, drove me home and consoled me as I fell asleep in his arms.

Yup, nice, smart, funny, charming, hot and he’s nurturing. Swoon.

Back to last night – it was intense. I ran into a bunch of CD’s that we met on our employment circuit. It was nice to feel included. We are actually part of the industry that we both love so much. It’s intense folks. I had this conversation with these two Seneca students and it was strange to hear the passion in my voice as I spoke to them. I love this business. Every little dark nook and cranny of it. I get to change perceptions. Granted, right now we’re doing piddly little project but every go is an opportunity and every opportunity is a learning experience. Last night, I realized how hard we toiled to get here – to this legitimate writing gig – and I also realized how much farther we still need to go. Nothing is forever people but as long as we’re having a great time (most of the time) – this is heaven.

And of course time flew. M was waging his personal war against T+2 and was at work until after 10pm. He got his first ever cab chit. Weee. Loved it. He drove me home (which was totally reminiscent of last year) but this time there were no tears, no need to console a weeping girlfriend – just absolute and utter bliss.

Of course he told me this would happen. I never really believed him. But like the shaman that he is – he once again proved that the pesky little gremlin named faith and the grueling beast they call hard work is all it takes to make your dreams come true. Oh and ironically, a sprinkling of luck certainly makes the broth - brothier. :)

Thank you guys (all of you). For all the yesterdays, the todays and the joys of our pregnant tomorrows.

Be Blessed.

No comments: