Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Urban myths

Music: “Golden” by Jill Scott

Colour: Blinding sunflower yellow

Mood: Joyful
---------------------------
Last night was an all -inclusive feast. My eyes, my belly and my spirit were rejuvenated by the sheer joy of great company and lip smacking soul food. S, P, D, C&M and beloved M and I took a well-deserved journey into the lifestyle of the “big city, young hip professionals” myth and blew its cover.

Winterlicious is a great idea. The opportunity to have chi-chi poo-poo fun on a poor man’s budget gives us aspiring big wigs the chance to revel in the affluence of our self –prescribed future’s. The décor at Joe’s coupled with the moonlighting artist-esque waiters infused the evening with giddiness and a general gaiety for life. It was a carnival for the senses – stimulated, overjoyed and in great company.

I love M’s friends. They are such a fun and engaging group of people, their personalities bleed into each other – complementing, harmonizing and creating a wonderful aura of familiarity. It’s almost like spending time with family and that my dear friends, is quite the honor. M has gifted me so much in this lifetime – unconditional love, understanding, acceptance and a circle of brave enigmatic souls who are just as inherently adorable as he is. I guess the adage rings true – you can tell a lot about a man by the friends he keeps. In this case, they feed the soul. Each a muse for the open and inspired. Each a hand to hold in the best and worst of times. Each a small wondrous blessing. And I feel, adequately blessed to know them.

It’s Tuesday morning and I still feel the remnants of that chocolate mudslide scrumptiously snuggled between the folds of my spirit (yup, that’s what I call my chunky monkey backside) and my eternal sweet tooth. My silent promise to hit the gym has once again nullified as I vehemently fought slumber only to sorely lose that battle, again. So it was the GO.

Unlike the subway, the GO caters to the suburban crowd – a group of middle aged men and women who have contently settled into life away from the raucousness of the city dwellers. A quiet ride strung together by moments of silence, tranquility in motion. Then came the exit route – union station. A melding of city meets suburbia; a walkway of human congestion. I moved not by choice but by the sheer energy and force of the people around me. I stood still, planted my feet firmly like the roots of that pine outside my house, but to no avail. For those brief moments, I was defined not by the person I am, the dreams I nurture or the character I’ve painstakingly cultivated. For those brief moments, I was the sum total of all the parts around me – a veritable cog in the wheel, one measly part in the grandiose proportions of human machinery. For those brief moments, I wasn’t alone but at the mercy of the crowds because I perfectly fit into the urban myth of life on the go.

Puts things into perspective, innit.

No comments: