Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Silent Epiphanies

Although in this portal, not so silent.

---

I’m astounded by just how many brain cells need to fanatically transmute for me to create advertising that attempts to transmigrate the masses. The observing, the silent pondering, the unobtrusive witnessing of the mundane.

What makes her smile? That Gucci clutch toting goddess teetering on 4” Blahniks. What makes her buy? And what about the dreamboat creating my most delish caramel latte at Starbucks, with the ruffled hair and the rolled out of bed attire, what makes him tick? Even better, what makes his “ipod-toting, so-hip-it-hurts- wearing” behind, purchase a product?

It’s remarkable how advertising is akin to that second voice that lays dormant in your head, provoking my cerebrum with questions and jotting down the mundane details of observations, useful and not. It’s exhilarating to know that I’ve found a career that I feel a vested interest in, I can’t help but take things personally. And simultaneously, I’m flabbergasted by the simple fact that I might be transforming into a damn schizophrenic complete with the circuitous musings of unseen characters.
----

March 8th a.k.a. International Women’s Day. A much-needed and well-deserved celebration of the economic, social, cultural and political achievements for women (amen to that). Here’s a little bit of a backgrounder courtesy of google and the IWD. The first International Women’s Day was held on March 19, 1911 in Germany and other European countries. And how was the day selected? Well, in 1848 the Prussian King had promised German women the right to vote and over one million leaflets calling for action on the right to vote were distributed in 1911.

Women all over the world, often divided by ethnic, linguistic, cultural, economic and political differences, come together to celebrate this day that represents equality, justice, peace and development.

So what does that mean for real women today? You know, the ones that juggle high falootin’ careers, over-grown children (bf’s/husbands), kids, families, siblings and lest we forget the responsibilities that come with having missed that “coveted” XY combination. Basically women like your mom, aunts, sisters, girlfriends and personally - myself.

It means that we have a forum – the opportunity (this is rich by the way) to spark conversations about ordinary women as makers of history. Rooted in the centuries old struggle of women seeking to participate equally in society on an equal footing with men. Wowzers. We get ONE bloody bleepin’ day out of THREE HUNDRED AND SIXTY FIVE, to celebrate & discuss the role of women in communities, society and history?? Downright preposterous right? Well hold on, it gets better.

So apparently justice is served because after the immense contributions that women have made to the overall workings of the world – we get one day. We don’t share that prevalent XY combination with Hitler, Mussolini, Osama, Bush or the many other MALE world leaders that have contributed to poverty, oppression and a general disregard for freedom of expression/fundamental rights/human rights etc. Sad innit? It’s mind boggling that I need a day to celebrate what generations of Ranjitkumar and Ponnambalam women have persevered through, accomplished and achieved.

Feels like “special rights” innit?

When institutionalized oppression graciously offers us ONE measly day to celebrate our combined endeavours, that’s when you know folks – our patriarchal society is doing just fine as they allocate 24 hours for 52% of our worlds population to feel worthy of a lil’ bit of respect.

When really, everyday should be an opportunity to spark invective, to fight for the cause, to rise above and celebrate the accomplishments of women you know and love. Today, I will remember to give my Amma and my sisters (real and forged) a hug because believe it or not, today is the day we are once again reminded that we enjoy the exclusive status of second class citizens.

I’m leaving you with Gloria Gaynor’s ‘I will survive’. We might get no love (institutionally speaking) but we will forge ahead, empowered.

-----

In other Jana-land news: David Droga will be in town in a few weeks. Here’s a snippet of an email I sent M:

"I'm in the midst of a conundrum,
perhaps you can shed some perspective.

you see, I’ve always believed that one must take great strides to bond
with like minded people.
I haven’t met many in this lifetime
due to circumstance,
due to life,
due to the people I know,
or don’t know.
But there is an opportunity.

David Droga - worldwide chief creative officer for Publicis is coming to the Tdot.
one legend. one show. one time.
one ticket price.
one that I can't afford."

Well there ya go, that’s what I’m trying to wrap my head around. For those of you who don’t know – David Droga is 35 and has been creative director for nearly 14 years. 14 years??? An advertising genius. A man who believes in taking things personally, doing unbelievable work, affecting change and most of all – working his butt off to build agencies that resolve client issues with mind-blowing creative. He survived the Australian, Asian, British ad scene and has now firmly planted his feet on American soil. And soon, those very feet will grace the Tdot and I’m getting far too flustered about all of this. Is it normal to feel your heart beat a dhol drum? And what about the salivating palms? This might be contagious - so i'm going to be socially responsible (as WOMEN usually are) and join the afflicted in that little corner over there.

There are six ad guys that I would give my tarred respiratory organs to meet and in no particular order – here they are.

1. Neil French
2. David Droga
3. Paul Lavoie
4. Piyush Pandey
5. Luke Sullivan
6. The boys from Crispin (they act as a unit – in my mind at least)

Now, M has graciously offered to hook me up with a ticket and we've even got a repayment contract firmly in place - $2 per month for the next 50 months. And while I don’t profess to know much about the world of finances, that sure sounds like a great deal. I wonder if i can coerce/persuade the people at Jacob/H&M/Winners to set up a similar repayment plan for my future purchases? All jokes aside though, I’m lucky to have people in my life that are willing to go out of their way to support my AD-diction. Cheesy eh?

That's me, keeping in tune with the few radio spots we’re presenting in about 30 mins that resemble just that. Triple cheese spread. yum. yay, no awards just a belly ache.

Send me good vibes people. God only knows, I sure need ‘em.

Love.

No comments: