Friday, January 09, 2009

9 days late

and right on time.

Happy New Year! This year, I decided to defer a few things right off the bat. Mainly for fear of falling off the proverbial wagon. You know the drill - we make resolutions, set well-intentioned goals and then somewhere between day 5 and day 9 - fall flat on our kundi's or even worse, our faces.

So this year, I started things differently. I deferred new years until the 2nd of January. And blissfully, we turned 2009 a day later than our neighbors and friends.

Now, being the borderline superstitious child that I am, i refuse to verbally ring in 2009 without kissing 2008 goodbye. So here's to '08!

'08 - will fondly be remembered as the year I decided to fight the status quo and stand up for myself, regardless of how petty the want may seem to others. I changed jobs with the support of man that I've grown to love even more deeply than I had in years passed. I re-arranged my priorities, was forced to take off my rose coloured glasses at some points. I retired my nic sticks for good or so it feels. I guess I can say that now that it has officially been 3 months of smoke free fresh air! My perspectives on a lot of things underwent a shift of some sort- relationships, friendships, marriage, family...You name it, it shifted. Not drastically but enough to create a ripple in the sea of my peter-pan lifestyle. Last year will fondly be remembered as the year that my relationships took on even more colour, texture and emotion than ever before - and for being able to feel that and witness it, I'm grateful. I lived without regrets and I survived to talk about it.

And now, it's time to welcome '09. This year I hope to really live my 3.1 motto: Be happy in the moment, that's enough. Because really, that is enough. I can only be responsible for myself and while I can attempt to protect the ones I love - I have to learn to let them test their own wings and fly. In the meantime, I hope '09 teaches me the art of balance. And provides me with the courage to keep growing and living, without regrets.

More to follow....

No comments: